Certain books are ordered from overseas that could delay the lead time delivery.
Books are delivered from our Pretoria warehouse and will not be shipped with your medical order.
There will be NO extra delivery fee for this service.
Juta’s Complete Textbook of Medical Surgical Nursing remains a comprehensive, evidence-based textbook written with the southern African nursing student in mind.
What’s NEW in the 2nd edition:
• The nursing care plans have been revised and strengthened with new evidence
• The anatomy and physiology of each system is given at the beginning of each chapter/ section in order to provide information on healthy structure and function. This makes it easier for the student to work out the pathology in each instance and understand the presentation of diseases
• The focus on the pathology of disease encourages nurses to arrive at a diagnosis and generate the appropriate intervention
• Chapters focus on students’ prior knowledge/pre-requisite knowledge so they can build on what they already know
• The learning outcomes in the chapters have been reformulated to focus on core learning.
Chapter 2: Section on culturally competent nursing care expanded to highlight both indigenous and Western medical practices, and cultural practices and the applicable legislation
Chapter 5: Ethical considerations have been revised and the issue of cultural differences included.
Chapter 6: Revised to include both the WHO’s and the National Department of Health’s guidelines
Chapter 7: Includes explanation of risk factors affecting micturition; new illustrations of urethral, condom, rectal and supra pubic catheter as well as retracted urine pouch added; causes of diarrhoea added to chapter
Chapter 11: Revised to include pre-requisite knowledge of central nervous system, cardiovascular System, integumentary system and respiratory system; and use of disposable NexTemp ® thermometer
Chapter 15: Additional information on revised trauma score and requirements for accreditation of staff working in the trauma and emergency units (NCS requirements)
Chapters 20-22: Includes additional information on infection control measures aligned to the National Core Standards for health establishments in South Africa
Chapters 23-25: Revised to emphasise the pathology, the clinical manifestations and the management of the disorders of the genito-urinary system
Chapter 26: Explains risk factors of reproductive disorders; includes explanation of conditions under which pregnancy may be terminated as per Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Act 1 of 2008
Chapters 38-41: Nursing care plans updated and information in the chapters streamlined
Chapter 52: Revised to focus on simple tests and the ophthalmological referrals that can be done by the nurse.